A critical component of a good financial plan is thinking through what happens when you’re no longer here. We call this wealth transfer – or sometimes referred to as Estate Planning. Author and leader Ron Blue calls for six steps to follow in the wealth transfer process, which we use when counseling clients on wealth transfer.
Remember to always intentionally pass on wisdom prior to passing on wealth!
- Transfer decision – decide to whom do you wish to transfer wealth
- Treatment decision – how much each heir should receive
- Timing decision – when to make the transfer
- Title decision – the transfer of title or ownership
- Tools and techniques decision – how the transfer will actually take place
- Talk decision – communicating your intentions with your family and heirs