A critical component of a good financial plan is thinking through what happens when you’re no longer here. We call this wealth transfer – or sometimes referred to as Estate Planning. Author and leader Ron Blue calls for six steps to follow in the wealth transfer process, which we use when counseling clients on wealth transfer.
- Transfer decision – whether to make a transfer or not
- Treatment decision – how much each heir should receive
- Timing decision – when to make the transfer
- Title decision – the transfer of title or ownership
- Tools and techniques decision – how the transfer will actually take place
- Talk decision – communicating your intentions with your family and heirs